Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Both withholding and unemployment taxes are filed through the California Employment Development Department (EDD.)
- Form DE88: Semi-weekly/Monthly Payment File
- Form DE9: Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages
- Form DE9C: Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (Continuation)
- Form DE88: Quarterly Payment File
What information does OnPay need?
- EDD Tax ID: Eight digit account number, format XXX-XXXX-X.
- CA Unemployment Rate (UI)
- CA Employment Training Tax Rate (ETT)
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information above, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Log in to OnPay
- From the main dashboard, navigate to Company > Payroll Taxes in the menu to the left.
- View/Update your EDD Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Rate (as a %) and your Employment Training Tax Rate.
Clients are responsible for entering the new tax rate provided by the EDD each year. Failing to enter the new tax rate into OnPay could result in under or overpayments to the EDD. Please keep in mind the state could assess penalties for underpayments.
I am an existing California employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in California, you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings. See below for the best ways to locate this information.
California Employment Development Department (EDD): (888)-745-3886 Existing employers can find their EDD Account Number on the Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (Form DE-9/ DE-9c) or on any notices received from the California EDD.
Tax Rates: If you have your EDD Tax ID (Ex. of Format: 123-4567-8) then you can click here to obtain your current year's tax rate (The new employer rate in California is 3.4%). You also need to enter your Unemployment Tax Rate and Employment Training Tax Rate (.1% unless your Unemployment Tax Rate is 6.2%, then enter 0% for ETT).
If you cannot locate these documents or account number, please call the California EDD at (888)-745-3886 and request the account number.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for California taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of California?
- Have you processed payroll with OnPay and received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from OnPay requesting certain California information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, please continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which California agencies should I register for?
California Employment Development Department: All required payroll taxes filed by OnPay are submitted to the California Employment Development Department (EDD), this includes Withholding Tax, Unemployment Tax, Employment Training Tax, and State Disability Insurance. Your business will need to be registered with the EDD by the date you expect to become liable for payroll taxes, which is typically the first day you pay wages. OnPay will only begin filing your California taxes once you run a payroll with California wages.
OnPay will use the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to determine which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Employment Development Department (EDD): (888)-745-3886
Click here for information on how to register your California business with the EDD. Once you click the link, choose Enroll for a username and password.
Should you have questions about how to register your business, please contact the EDD at (888)-745-3886.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state, please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. You can also use our California payroll tax calculator to estimate taxes for California employees.**