Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form IL-501: Semi-Weekly or Monthly Withholding Payment and Form IL-941: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation.
Unemployment: Illinois Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Illinois State Withholding Tax ID - Example: 12-3456789-000 (FEIN + 3 digits, usually 000 or 001)
- MyTax Illinois Account Third Party Access; see below for additional instruction.
- Illinois Unemployment ID - Example: 1234567-8 or 1234567
- Illinois Unemployment Rate
- Illinois Power of Attorney Forms; see below for additional instruction.
REQUIRED: For OnPay to file and pay your taxes electronically in Illinois, OnPay must be added to your MyTax Illinois Account and have a copy of the Illinois Power of Attorney on File.
To add a Third Party Account on MyTax Illinois:
- Log In to your MyTax Illinois Account Here. If you do not have an account with MyTax Illinois, you will need to register.
- Select "Manage My Web Profile"
- Select "Manage Log Ons"
- Select "Access To My Accounts"
- Select "Settings"
- To add a Third Party Users you will need to select "YES" so we are able to search and add your company.
- Next to "Default Access Level for Third Party Log-ons" select File. Then change the default to "File and Pay".
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Log in to OnPay
- From the main dashboard, navigate to Company > Payroll Taxes in the menu to the left.
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed Illinois POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Illinois, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
I am an existing Illinois employer, where do I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Illinois you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Illinois Department of Revenue: (800) 732-8866
Withholding Tax Account Number: This account number will include your Federal EIN, and you can find the ID on your Illinois Withholding Income Tax Return (IL-941).
Illinois Department of Employment Security: (312) 793-2800
Unemployment Account Number: Your Unemployment account number and your Illinois UI Contribution Rate will be on the Notice of Contribution Rate that you receive from the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) each year.
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the far contribution rate box of the Tax Rate Notice.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Illinois Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Illinois?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Illinois information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Illinois Agencies should I register for?
Illinois Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Illinois. If your business is located outside of Illinois, but your employees work or live in Illinois you will need to register with this agency.
Illinois Department of Employment Security: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Illinois. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Illinois, you will need to register with this agency.
How do I register with the state?
Illinois Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (800) 732-8866
Illinois Department of Employment Security (unemployment insurance assistance): (312) 793-2800
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. Our Illinois tax calculator can help you apply payroll tax rates for employees in Illinois or other states.**