Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form 306: Monthly Withholding Return, Form 306: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form 306: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: North Dakota Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- North Dakota State Tax ID: Example: 123456789-01
- North Dakota Unemployment ID: Example: 1234567
- North Dakota Unemployment Rate
I am an existing North Dakota employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Alabama you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner: (701)-328-1257
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on the Quarterly income Tax Withholding Return (Form 306)
Job Service North Dakota: (701)-328-2660
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Determination of Employer Liability
- Contribution and Wage Report (Form SFN 41263)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the Tax Rate Notice received from Job Service North Dakota.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for North Dakota taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of North Dakota?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain North Dakota information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which North Dakota agencies should I register for?
- North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in North Dakota, or for any employees that calculate North Dakota withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of North Dakota, but your employees work or live in North Dakota you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Job Service North Dakota: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in North Dakota. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in North Dakota, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
How do I register with the state?
North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner (withholding assistance): (701)-328-1257
Job Service North Dakota (unemployment insurance assistance): (701)-328-2660
- Click here to register your North Dakota business with the ND Office of State Tax Commissioner & Job Service ND
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. Our North Dakota tax calculator can help you apply payroll tax rates for employees in North Dakota or other states.**