Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Monthly Withholding Return, Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: Mississippi Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Mississippi State Tax ID: 8-digit number Ex: 0000-0000
- Mississippi Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 0000000-0-00
- Mississippi Unemployment Rate
- Mississippi Letter ID
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Department of Revenue Letter ID
I am an existing Mississippi employer, where can I find the information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Mississippi you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Mississippi Department of Revenue: (601)-923-7700
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices that you have received from the Mississippi Department of Revenue.
- MS Letter ID: The Letter ID can be found on any document sent to you from the State of Mississippi Department of Revenue.
Mississippi Department of Employment Security: (601)-321-6000
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Registration Notification Letter
- Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form UI-2)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the right-hand side of the Tax Rate Notice in the General Experience Rate box
- Workforce Investment and Training Tax Rates: This can be found on the right-hand side of the Tax Rate Notice in the Training Contribution Rate box
I am a new employer, Do I need to register for Mississippi Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Mississippi?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Mississippi information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Mississippi agencies should I register for?
- Mississippi Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Mississippi, or for any employees that calculate Mississippi withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Mississippi, but your employees work or live in Mississippi you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Mississippi Department of Employment Security: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Mississippi. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Mississippi, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
How do I register with the state?
Mississippi Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (601)-923-7000
Mississippi Department of Employment Security (unemployment insurance assistance): (601)-321-6000
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. For more detailed information on taxes in Mississippi, check out our Mississippi payroll calculator.**