Which Tax Forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: (Form 44-105) Monthly Withholding Return, (Form 44-095) Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and (Form VSP) Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
Unemployment: Iowa Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Iowa Withholding eFile Number (BEN): 8 digit number - Example: 10012345
- Iowa Withholding Permit Number: 12 digit number - Example: 123456789001
- Iowa Unemployment ID
- Iowa Unemployment Rate
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, and Unemployment Rate (as a %).
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- DOL: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Iowa DOL POA found here.
I am an existing Iowa employer, where do I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Iowa you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Iowa Department of Revenue: (515) 281-3114
Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices from the Iowa Department of Revenue.
Iowa Workforce Development: (888) 848-7442
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the Notice of UI Contribution Rate (Form 65-5306).
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the top right-hand corner of the Tax Rate Notice.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Iowa Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Iowa?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Iowa information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Iowa Agencies should I register for?
Iowa Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Iowa. If your business is located outside of Iowa, but your employees work or live in Iowa you will likely need to register with this agency.
Iowa Workforce Development: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Iowa. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees' primary work location is in Iowa, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Iowa Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (515) 281-3114
Iowa Workforce Development (unemployment insurance assistance): (888)-848-7442
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. Find examples, calculations, and current Iowa tax rates in our payroll calculators.**