Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: South Dakota Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- South Dakota Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 00000.0-0
- South Dakota Unemployment Tax Rate
- South Dakota Employer Investment Fee Tax Rate
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Unemployment Tax ID and Unemployment Rate (as a %).
I am an existing South Dakota employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in South Dakota you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
South Dakota Department of Labor: (605)-626-2312
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Contribution and Investment Fee Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution Wage Report (Form DOL-UID-21)
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in UI Box of the Tax Rate Notice
Employer Investment Fee Tax: This can be found in the Investment Fee Box of the Tax Rate Notice
I am a new employer, Do I need to register for South Dakota Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of South Dakota?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain South Dakota information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which South Dakota Agencies should I register for?
- South Dakota Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in South Dakota. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees' primary work location is in South Dakota, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulations (unemployment insurance assistance): (605)-626-2312
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. You can also use our South Dakota payroll tax calculator to estimate taxes for STATE NAME employees.**