Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form WH-431: Monthly Withholding Return, Form WH-431: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form WH-434: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
Unemployment: Vermont Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Vermont State Tax ID: 8-digit ID Ex: WHT-00000000
- Vermont Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 0000000
- Unemployment Rate
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
I am an existing Vermont employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Vermont you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Vermont Department of Taxes: (802)-828-6802
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices received from the Vermont Department of Taxes.
Vermont Department of Labor: (802)-828-4000
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Contribution Rate Notice
- Quarterly Wage & Contribution Report (Form C-101)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in Contribution Rate Box 6 at the top of the Tax Rate Notice.
I am a new employer, Do I need to register for Vermont taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Vermont?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Vermont information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Vermont agencies should I register for?
- Vermont Department of Taxes: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Vermont, or for any employees that calculate Vermont withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Vermont, but your employees work or live in Vermont you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Vermont Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Vermont. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Vermont, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
How do I register with the state?
Vermont Department of Taxes (withholding assistance): (802) 828-6802
Vermont Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): (802)-828-4000
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. If you want to learn more about Vermont's taxes, click here to check out our Vermont payroll calculator.**