Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form 941M: Monthly Withholding Return, Form 941Q: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form 941A: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: Rhode Island Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Rhode Island State Tax ID: 9-digit number Ex: 000000000 then add two 00
- Rhode Island Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 0000000000
- Rhode Island Unemployment Rate
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %).
I am an existing Rhode Island employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Rhode Island you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Rhode Island Division of Taxation: (401)-574-8829
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account on notices received from the Rhode Island Division of Taxation.
Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training: (401)-243-9137
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Tax Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form TX-17)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the Tax Rate Notice
- Job Development Fund Rates: This can be found on the Tax Rate Notice
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Rhode Island Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Rhode Island?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Rhode Island information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Rhode Island Agencies should I register for?
- Rhode Island Division of Taxation: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Rhode Island, or for any employees that calculate Rhode Island withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Rhode Island, but your employees work or live in Rhode Island you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Rhode Island. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Rhode Island, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
Rhode Island Division of Taxation (withholding assistance): (401)-574-8829
Rhode Island Department of Labor & Training (unemployment insurance assistance): (401)-243-9137
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. For more detailed information on taxes in Rhode Island, check out our Rhode Island payroll calculator.**