Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form VA-15: Monthly Withholding Return; Form VA-16: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation; Form VA-6: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
Unemployment: Virginia Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Virginia State Tax ID: 15-digit ID Ex: 00-000000000A-000
- Virginia Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 0000000000
- Virginia Unemployment Rate
- Third Party access to the VATAX Online Services. Once you have setup and logged in, you will need to add us as a Third Party Access by using our Unique Identifier.
Unique Identifier: pcipayroll
Level of Permission to Access your Account: Master
**Please make sure you have added OnPay with the permission level of a "Master" for both TAX and VEC.**
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Log in to OnPay
- From the main dashboard, navigate to Company > Payroll Taxes in the menu to the left.
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %).
I am an existing Virginia employer, where do I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Virginia you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Virginia Department of Taxation: (804)-367-8037
Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices received from the VA Employment Commission.
Virginia Employment Commission: (804)-786-7159
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on a tax rate notice or a quarterly contribution and wage report
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) notice that you receive from the VA Employment Commission.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Virginia Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Virginia?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Virginia information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Virginia agencies should I register for?
Virginia Department of Taxation: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Virginia, or for any employees that calculate Virginia withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Virginia, but your employees work or live in Virginia you will likely need to register with this agency.
Virginia Employment Commission: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Virginia. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Virginia, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address and the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Virginia Department of Taxation (withholding assistance): (804)-367-8037
Virginia Employment Commission (unemployment insurance assistance): (804)-786-7159
You can register for both VA tax agencies by using this link to register your business online with Virginia.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. Use the Virginia payroll calculator for more detailed information about taxes in Virginia.**