Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form TC-941: Monthly Withholding Return, Form TC-941: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form TC-941R: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: Utah Quarterly Tax and Wage Report.
What information does OnPay need?
- Utah State Tax ID: 11-digit number Example: 12345678-001-WTH
- DBA/Legal Name (If different than the information entered in OnPay)
- Utah Unemployment ID: 8-digits Example: C1-234567-8 or 1-234567-08
- Department of Workforce Service Electronic Filing PIN (Optional)
- Utah Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) PIN (Optional)
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, and Unemployment Rate (as a %).
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- Department of Workforce Service Electronic Filing PIN (Optional - Only necessary in the event that OnPay needs to access your account individually)
- Utah Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) PIN (Optional - Only necessary in the event that OnPay needs to access your account individually)
I am an existing Utah employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Utah you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Utah State Tax Commission: (801)-297-2200
Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on Form A-1, Return of Income Withheld.
Utah Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) PIN (Optional): Your PIN was included with your business license registration packet. If you can’t locate your packet, request your PIN at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your account number and username. Your PIN information is only necessary in the event that we need to access your account for a correction or a one-off activity.
Utah Department of Workforce Services: (866)-435-7414
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on a Tax Rate Notice or Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report.
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the top right of the Contribution Rate Notice you would have received from the Department of Workforce Services.
Department of Workforce Service Electronic Filing PIN (Optional): This PIN is assigned when an employer registers their business on our Web Site and is mailed to all new employers at their tax address when the account is activated. If you cannot locate your PIN, please call the Department. Your PIN information is only necessary in the event that we need to access your account for a correction or a one-off activity.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Utah taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Utah?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Utah information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Utah agencies should I register for?
Utah State Tax Commission: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Utah. If your business is located outside of Utah, but your employees work or live in Utah you will need to register with this agency.
Utah Department of Workforce Services: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Utah. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Utah, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address for each employee, plus the work site assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Utah State Tax Commission (withholding assistance): (801)-297-2200
Utah Department of Workforce Services (unemployment insurance assistance): (866)-435-7414
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. To get a better understanding of your tax estimates in Utah, use our Utah payroll calculator.**