Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form NC-5: Monthly/Quarterly Withholding Return and Form NC-5: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: North Carolina Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- North Carolina State Withholding Tax ID: 9-digit number Ex: 000000000
- North Carolina Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 00-00-000
- North Carolina Unemployment PIN
- Your assigned PIN is sent to you by mail. If you do not have your PIN contact North Carolina by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org Note: You will need to have already registered your business with the North Carolina Department of Labor.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %).
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- North Carolina PIN
I am an existing North Carolina employer, where do I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in North Carolina you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
North Carolina Department of Revenue: (877) 252-3052
Withholding Tax Account Number: If you've run payroll in North Carolina previously and are unsure of your account ID, you can call the agency at (877) 252-3052.
North Carolina Department of Employment Security: (800) 625-2267
Unemployment Account Number: You can find your Employment Security Account Number on the Tax Rate Notice (Form NCUI 104)
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the Box at the top of the Tax Rate Notice (Form NCUI 104)
I am a new employer, Do I need to register for North Carolina Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of North Carolina?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain North Carolina information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which North Carolina agencies should I register for?
North Carolina Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in North Carolina. If your business is located outside of North Carolina, but your employees work or live in North Carolina you will need to register with this agency
North Carolina Department of Employment Security: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in North Carolina. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in North Carolina, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
North Carolina Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (877) 252-3052
North Carolina Department of Employment Security (unemployment insurance assistance): (800) 625-2267
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. You can also use our North Carolina payroll tax calculator to estimate taxes for North Carolina employees.**