Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form MW5: Monthly/Quarterly Withholding Return
Unemployment: Minnesota Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Minnesota State Tax ID: 7-digit number Ex: 0000000
- Minnesota Unemployment ID: 8-digit number Ex: 00000000
- Minnesota Unemployment Rate
- Minnesota Workforce Enhancement Fee Rates
- Third Party Access for OnPay to file and Pay Unemployment taxes, see instructions below.
To authorize us as your agent:
- Log in to your account at www.uimn.org
- On My Home Page, click Account Maintenance.
- Click Agent Authorization.
- Click Search to determine if an agent has already been assigned to your account. If an agent is not found, click New to start the authorization process to add OnPay.
- On the Assign Agent page, enter our Agent ID (AG015877) and then click Next.
- Review the information on the Agent Details page.
- Enter the current date in the Beginning Start Date field.
- Leave the Effective End Date field blank.
- In the Available Roles section, select the following user roles for OnPay.
- Tax Payment Update and Submit
- Wage Detail Update and Submit
- Click Save.
- Assign the Employer Reporting Units for each role:
- Click Assign Employer Reporting Units for the first role.
- Choose option: "Assign All Employer Reporting Units"
- Click Save.
- Click Previous and repeat this step for each role.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
I am an existing Minnesota employer, where do I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Minnesota you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Minnesota Department of Revenue: (651)-282-9999
Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their MN Withholding Tax ID number on notices received from the Minnesota Department of Revenue.
Minnesota Department of Labor: (651)-284-5005
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the MN Employer Account Number on the Determination of Tax Rate notice.
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the middle of the Tax Rate Notice
Workforce Development Fee: this can be found in the middle of the Tax Rate Notice
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Minnesota taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Minnesota?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Minnesota information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Minnesota agencies should I register for?
Minnesota Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Minnesota. If your business is located outside of Minnesota, but your employees work or live in Minnesota you will need to register with this agency
Minnesota Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Minnesota. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Minnesota, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address for each employee, plus the work site assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Minnesota Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (651)-282-9999
Minnesota Department of Labor and Licensing (unemployment insurance assistance): (651)-284-5005
Important: Please see the instructions above on how to add Third Party Access for OnPay.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**