Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form MW-1: Monthly/Quarterly Withholding Return and Form MW-3: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
Unemployment: Montana Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Montana State Tax ID: 10-digit number and WTH Ex: 0000000-000-WTH
- Montana Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 000-0000
- Montana Unemployment Tax Rate
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Log in to OnPay
- From the main dashboard, navigate to Company > Payroll Taxes in the menu to the left.
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %).
I am an existing Montana employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Montana you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Montana Department of Revenue: (866)-859-2254
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices received from the Montana Department of Revenue.
Montana Department of Labor: (800)-550-1513
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- The Welcome Letter (Form UI-5)
- Tax Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found under Contribution Rate of the Tax Rate Notice.
- Administrative Fund Tax Rates: This can be found under the Administrative Fund Tax Rate of the Tax Rate Notice.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Montana taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Montana?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Montana information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Montana agencies should I register for?
- Montana Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Montana, or for any employees that calculate Montana withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Montana, but your employees work or live in Montana you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Montana Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Montana. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Montana, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
How do I register with the state?
Montana Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (866)-859-2254
Montana Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): (800)-550-1513
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. Our Montana tax calculator can help you apply payroll tax rates for employees in Montana or other states.**