Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form M-942: Monthly Withholding Return, Form M-941: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form M-941A: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: Massachusetts Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Massachusetts State Tax ID: Example: 123 456 789 or WTH-12345678-001
- Massachusetts Unemployment ID (DUA): Example: 12-34567-8
- Massachusetts Unemployment Rate
- Massachusetts Workforce Training Fund Rate
- Massachusetts Employment Medical Assistance Contribution Setup Rate
IMPORTANT: Massachusetts will not allow OnPay to file and pay Withholding or Unemployment taxes unless we are added as third-party users to your online accounts. Please follow the instructions below to complete these necessary steps.
Instructions to add OnPay as a Professional Tax Preparer for Withholding Tax:
- If you have not, please log into your MassTaxConnect online account and authorize us to perform work. Once you are logged in, click the Profile Link, then under the I Want To...section, click Assign Access Rights to a Third Party.
- The Third Party Public Directory list will display. Select the company you are choosing to give third party access to. The list can also be filtered by entering the name of the third party into the filter bar and pressing Enter on your keyboard.
- Once the third party is selected, click the Next button to see a list of your tax accounts. Select the button in the Give Rights column for the tax account(s) you would like to give the third party access to and select the access type you would like to give them from the Access Rights column. Click the Next button, review and then click the Submit button to confirm.
- We need the access to file and pay your MA Withholding taxes.
- Our Third Party Name is Payroll Center Inc.
Instructions to add OnPay as a Third Party Agent (TPA) for Unemployment Taxes:
- Please log into your Massachusetts Division of Unemployment Assistance online account and complete the process of adding an Agent (Third Party Account). Once we have the rights to access your account we will then go in and search for your company.
- You will be asked for our: TPA ID and PIN.
- Our TPA ID is 102601.
- Our PIN is 1136.
- Click on the "TPA ID (blue)" once the list loads
- Click "Modify"
- Add us for the following roles by checking the box beside:
- Account Maintenance Update and Submit
- Payments Update and Submit
- Employment and Wage Detail Update and Submit
- Make sure the start date is set to a date before your first check date with OnPay. (MA may only let you make the start date the current date - if this is the case it is OK to make it the current date)
- Click "Save"
- Log into OnPay and add your ID and tax rate, then reply to this email and let us know you have completed these steps.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax Account ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID (DUA Account Number), Unemployment Rate, Workforce Training Fund Rate, and Massachusetts Employment Medical Assistance Contribution Setup Rate (as a %).
I am an existing Massachusetts employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Massachusetts you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Massachusetts Department of Revenue: (617)-887-6367
Withholding Tax Account Number: If you have previously registered with the Department of Revenue your account number will be your FEIN.
Massachusetts Department of Labor: (617)-626-5075
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find their Massachusetts UI Account Number and Contribution Rate Unemployment Account Number on the notice that you receive from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) each year
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the top right-hand corner of the Tax Rate Notice.
Massachusetts Workforce Training Fund Rates: Most employers also pay .06% Workforce Training Tax. Enter the rates assigned to your business on the annual rate notice.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Massachusetts Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Massachusetts?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Massachusetts information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Massachusetts agencies should I register for?
Massachusetts Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Massachusetts, or for any employees that calculate Massachusetts withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Massachusetts, but your employees work or live in Massachusetts you will need to register with this agency.
Massachusetts Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Massachusetts. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Massachusetts, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address and the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Massachusetts Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (617)-887-6367
Massachusetts Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): (617)-626-5075
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state. Our Massachusetts tax calculator can help you apply payroll tax rates for employees in Massachusetts or other states.**