For New South Dakota Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the South Dakota Department of Labor. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your South Dakota taxes.
Register online with the South Dakota Department of Labor UI Division.
- Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more employees in 20 different calendar weeks in current or previous year or pay $1500 of payroll in a calendar quarter.
- You should receive your number instantly after registering online.
- You should receive your number in 10-14 days if registering by mail.
- New employers will also receive their UI Total Rate and South Dakota Investment Fee Rate.
- The rate for new employers is generally 1.75%
- Businesses in the Construction industry are an exception, which is generally 6.65%
For Existing South Dakota Businesses:
If you already have access to the South Dakota Department of Employment Services websites, and have your tax ID number, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the South Dakota Tax document. If you have access to the South Dakota website but do not have your tax ID, please log into your South Dakota account and apply for access to an ID. If you have any questions, please call the South Dakota Department of Labor at 1-(605) 626-2312.
- Existing employers can find their Unemployment Account Number and tax rate on the following forms:
- Contribution and Investment Fee Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution Wage Report (Form DOL-UID-21)
- Existing employers can find their Investment Fee Rate on the Contribution and Investment Fee Rate Notice received from the South Dakota Department of Labor UI Division.
**If you want to learn more about South Dakota's taxes, click here to check out our South Dakota payroll calculator.**