For New Vermont Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Vermont Department of Taxes and Vermont Department of Labor. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Vermont taxes.
VT Income tax
Register with the Secretary of State online.
During this process, you will also need to register for a Business Tax account to obtain your Withholding Account Number and filing frequency (HERE - Vermont Department of Taxes).
- You should receive your account number in 5-7 days after registering online.
- You should receive your account number in 10 business days if registering by mail or fax.
VT Unemployment tax
Register with the Vermont Department of Labor.
- Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more employees in each of at least 20 different weeks in a calendar year or pay $1500 payroll in any calendar quarter.
- You should receive your number and tax rate in 2 weeks after registering online.
VT Unemployment Tax Rate
- The tax rate for new employers is 1% with exceptions to specific industries such as construction.
For Existing Vermont Businesses:
If you already have access to the Vermont Department of Taxes and the Vermont Department of Employment Services websites, and have your tax ID numbers, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Vermont Tax document. If you have access to the Vermont websites but do not have your tax IDs, please log into your Vermont account and apply for access to an ID. If you have any questions, please call the Vermont Department of Taxes directly at 1-(802) 828-6802 or the Department of Labor at 1-(802)-828-4000.
- Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices received from the Vermont Department of Taxes.
- Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Contribution Rate Notice
- Quarterly Wage & Contribution Report (Form C-101)
- The Unemployment rate generally ranges from 1.3%–8.4% with a wage base of $17,300. VT
**Our Vermont tax calculator can help you apply payroll tax rates for employees in Vermont or other states.**