For New Minnesota Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Minnesota Department of Revenue and Department of Labor. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Minnesota taxes.
Minnesota Income tax withholding
- Register with Minnesota Department of Revenue online.
- Start the process by clicking "Begin the Registration Process" and follow the prompts.
- You should receive your account number instantly after competing the registration process.
Minnesota Unemployment tax
Businesses who have paid at least $20 in wages to their employees during a calendar quarter will be liable for state unemployment. To check if you are liable and register, follow the steps below.
- Register with Unemployment Insurance Minnesota and select the option for "Employers and Agents".
- Detailed step-by-step instructions can be found Here.
- Please remember to add your first date of wages either during registration or once you find out what your first date of wages will be.
- You should receive your Employer Account Number instantly after competing the registration process.
- New employers in Minnesota will have rates that range from 1.64%–8.54%.
To authorize us as your agent:
- Log in to your account at www.uimn.org
- On My Home Page, click Account Maintenance.
- Click Agent Authorization.
- Click Search to determine if an agent has already been assigned to your account. If an agent is not found, click New to start the authorization process to add OnPay.
- On the Assign Agent page, enter our Agent ID (AG015877) and then click Next.
- Review the information on the Agent Details page.
- Enter the current date in the Beginning Start Date field.
- Leave the Effective End Date field blank.
- In the Available Roles section, select the following user roles for OnPay.
- Tax Payment Update and Submit
- Wage Detail Update and Submit
- Click Save.
- Assign the Employer Reporting Units for each role:
- Click Assign Employer Reporting Units for the first role.
- Choose option: "Assign All Employer Reporting Units"
- Click Save.
- Click Previous and repeat this step for each role.
For Existing Minnesota Businesses:
If you already have access to the Minnesota Department of Revenue and Department of Labor websites, and have a tax ID numbers, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Minnesota Tax document. If you have access to the Minnesota websites but do not have your tax IDs, please log into the appropriate account and apply for access to the ID your missing. If you have any questions, please call the Minnesota Department of Revenue at 1 (651) 282-9999 or the Department of Labor at 1-(651) 284-5005.
- Existing businesses can find their MN Withholding Tax ID number on notices received from the Minnesota Department of Revenue
- You can also log into your Minnesota Department of Revenue E-Services account to find your number.
Existing businesses can find their MN Employer Account Number on the Determination of Tax Rate notice that you received from Unemployment Insurance Minnesota.
Minnesota UI Tax Rate:
Your UI Tax Rate can be found by logging into your Minnesota SUI Account:
- Choose Account Maintenance and then clicking View Tax Rate Notice to find your rate.
- The rate ranges from 0.2%–9.1% with a wage base of $32,000.