For New Massachusetts Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue & Massachusetts Department of Labor. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Massachusetts taxes.
MA withholding tax
Go to the MassTax Connect website and do the following:
- Click on Register A New Business.
- Select I am registering a business, organization, or other entity.
- proceed to follow the remaining instructions.
After you register with the DOR, you will receive an account ID (This will be identical to your FEIN) and a tax deposit schedule. If you have questions about this process, contact the DOR at (617) 887-6367.
MA Unemployment tax
Go to the DUA website, click on Employer Login and then Employer Registration on the top left. Once you have registered, you should instantly receive a UI Account Number and a UI Contribution Rate.
- When entering your UI Contribution Rate into OnPay, please do not include the Workforce Training Rate.
- For more guidance, follow the DUA’s step-by-step instruction guide.
- The rate for new employers will be between .73% - 11.13%.
- If you're unsure about your rate, call the agency at (617) 626-5075 and request your current rate.
Third Party Administrator
Client needs to log in to their account and complete the process of adding a Agent (Third Party Account). This step is required for all OnPay clients, and gives us the permission to file and pay taxes on your behalf.
Please follow the instructions:
- Log in to the DUA Quest system
- Click on the Third Party Administrator (TPA) Authorization link (bottom lefthand corner)
- Click New at the bottom of the screen and input OnPays TPA ID: 102601
- Choose today’s day as the "Beginning Date", and leave "End Date" blank.
- Click Add Roles and please select the following only:
- Account Maintenance, Update and Submit
- Payments, Update and Submit
- Employment and Wage Detail, Update and Submit
For further details, follow the DUA’s step-by-step instruction guide. To contact the DUA call (617) 626-5075.
For Existing Massachusetts Businesses:
If you already have access to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue & Department of Labor website, and have both your Withholding and Unemployment ID numbers, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Massachusetts Tax Document. If you have access to the Massachusetts Departments websites, but do not have a your Withholding or unemployment ID, please log into your account and apply for access to the appropriate ID. If you have any questions, please call the MA Department of Revenue directly at 1-(617) 887-6367 or the MA Department of Labor at (617) 626-5075.
- Previously registered businesses with the Department of Revenue will have an account that is identical to your FEIN.
- Your MA UI Account Number and Contribution Rate appears on the annual notice that you receive from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA).
- If you are unsure of your account number or rate you should call the agency at (617) 626-5075.
- The rate ranges from 1.516%–12.256% with a wage base of $15,000.
**For more detailed information on taxes in Massachusetts, check out our Massachusetts payroll calculator.**