For New Maryland Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Comptroller of Maryland. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Comptroller of Maryland taxes.
Income tax withholding
Register with the Comptroller of Maryland online to obtain both your Central Registration Number (CRN) and your Employer Account Number. Click Begin Registration at the bottom of the website to get started.
- Central Registration Number in 5-7 days after registering online, or in 3 weeks if registering by mail.
- You may also call (800) 638-2937 after 5 days to receive your CRN.
Unemployment tax rate
Your MD Unemployment Tax Rate appears in the "Contribution Rate" box on the lefthand side of the Experience Rate Notice from the MD Department of Labor.
New employers will need to complete the registration to receive their new employer rate.
- Usually either 2.60% or 6.6%.
- If you have questions you should call the agency at (410) 767-2413.
For Existing Maryland Businesses:
If you already have access to the Comptroller of Maryland website and have a withholding tax ID number, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Maryland Tax Document. If you have access to the Comptroller of Maryland website but do not have a withholding tax ID, please log into your Comptroller of Maryland account and apply for access to a withholding ID. If you have any questions, please call the Comptroller of Maryland directly at 1-(800) 638-2937.
- If you've run payroll in Maryland previously, you can find your eight digit CRN on your Withholding Tax Return (Form MW506) which you would have received from the Comptroller of Maryland. If you can't find this form, you should contact the agency.
- You can find your ten digit MD Employer Account Number on any notice received from the MD Department of Labor. You can also find it on your Unemployment Insurance Quarterly Contribution Report (FORM DLLR/OUI 15).
MD Unemployment Tax Rate: The Maryland unemployment tax rate ranges from 0.3%–7.5% with a wage base of $8,500. If you are unsure you should call the agency at (410) 767-2414.
**You can also use our Maryland payroll tax calculator to estimate taxes for Maryland employees.**