For New Washington Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Washington Department of Revenue. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Washington taxes.
- File for a business license application with the state of Washington.
- The Department of Revenue will process your application and notify L&I to open a workers' compensation account and the Employment Security Department (ESD) to open an unemployment insurance account.
- You'll receive a letter from your new Workers' Compensation account manager, and a packet of information which includes the following tax information:
- Your Unified Business Identification (UBI)
- Your ES (Employment Security) Account Number
- Your Workers' Comp Account ID
- Your Participant Activation Code (PAC)
- Your State Unemployment and Employment Administration Fund rate
This will be sent to you 10 days after registering online, or in 21 days if registering by mail.
For Existing Washington Businesses:
If you already have access to the Washington Department of Revenue website, and your WA tax ID numbers, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Washington Tax Document. If you have access to the Washington Department of Revenue website, but do not have a WA tax IDs, please log into your Washington Department of Revenue account and apply for access to your IDs.
- You can find your Washington account numbers on the Quarterly Tax and Wage Detail Reports (Form 5208 A).
- The Washington SUI Tax Rate appears on the notice that you receive from the Washington Employment Security Department each year.
- If you're unsure about your rate, it is always best to call the agency at (855) 829-9243.
- Employment Admin Fund tax rates are assigned by the Employment Security Department and generally range from 0.13%–7.73% with a wage base of $45,000.
- If you are unsure of your rate, please call the agency at (360) 902-9670.
**You can also use our Washington payroll tax calculator to estimate taxes for Washington employees.**