For Existing Georgia Businesses
If you already have access to the Georgia Department of Revenue website, and have a withholding tax ID number, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Georgia Taxes document. If you have access to the Georgia Department of Revenue website, but do not have a withholding tax ID, please log into your Georgia Department of Revenue account and apply for access to a withholding ID. If you have any questions, please call the Georgia Department of Revenue directly at 1-877-423-6711
- If you've completed payroll in Georgia before, you can find your withholding ID on any notice that you've received from the Department of Revenue. In order to determine what your most recent tax deposit amount was to the Department of Revenue you will need to login to your account here.
- Businesses that have run payroll in the past can find their Department of Labor Account Number on notices received from the Department of Labor.
- Total Tax Rate: Your total tax rate can be found on the Employer Tax Rate notice that your business receives every year from the Department of Labor. It ranges from 0.04%–8.1% with a wage base of $9,500. You may also call the agency at (404) 232-3300 to for this information.
For New Georgia Businesses
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Georgia Department of Revenue. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Georgia Department of Revenue taxes.
Income tax withholding
- Register with the Georgia Department of Revenue online.
- Click "Register a New GA Business" to complete the registration process.
- You'll receive a nine digit ID that looks like XXXXXXX-XX. You should receive your number Immediately after completing the online registration.
Companies will become liable for state unemployment once they pay more than $1500 in a calendar quarter or have at least one employee/day in each of 20 different calendar weeks during a calendar year.
- Register online with the Department of Labor
- You should receive your account number Immediately after completing the online registration.
- New employers in GA 2017 tax rate is 2.70%. You can enter this in your OnPay account before you receive your UI account number.
Nonprofit organizations are an exception and must complete this form Instead. This form needs to be mailed to the agency at:
Georgia Department of Labor, Suite 850
148 Andrew Young International Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30303-1751.
Nonprofit organizations should receive their account number in approximately 3-4 weeks after mailing the form.
**Find examples, calculations, and current Georgia tax rates in our payroll calculators.**