For Existing New Jersey Businesses:
If you already have access to the New Jersey Department of Revenue website, and have a withholding tax ID number, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the New Jersey Taxes document. If you have access to the New Jersey Department of Revenue website, but do not have a withholding tax ID, please log into your New Jersey Department of Revenue account and apply for access to a withholding ID.
- If you've run payroll in the state of NJ before, you can find your Employer Registration Number on any notice you may have received from the New Jersey Division of Revenue. If you have any questions, please call the agency at (609) 633-6400.
- Experience Rate: Businesses that have run payroll in NJ in the past can find their Final Unemployment Experience Rate (this includes both your NJ Unemployment Rate and your Workforce Development Rate) on the Notice of Employer Contribution Rates. The rate ranges from 0.3%–7.7% and have a wage base of $32,600.
Important side note: there are 2 different rates, one for the employer and one for the employee. Enter only the employer portion into OnPay.
For New New Jersey Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the New Jersey Department of Revenue. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your New Jersey Department of Revenue taxes.
- If this is your first time running payroll in New Jersey, you can register with the New Jersey Department of Revenue online. In most cases, your company's NJ Employer Registration Number will be the same as your Federal EIN. You should receive your number immediately after completing the online registration.
- After you have paid $1,000.00 in wages you must submit Form NJ-REG to the New Jersey Division of Revenue. Instructions to assist you in this process can be found Here. Once submitted, this information will be forwarded to the Department of Labor and Workforce Development. The NJ Department of Labor will then determine your liability for Unemployment.
- Experience Rate: If you're a new employer in New Jersey, your Final Unemployment Experience Rate will generally range from 1.20%–2.80% and your Final Disability Insurance Rate will generally be 0.50%. If you have any questions, please call the agency at (609) 633-6400.
Important side note: there are 2 different experience rates, one for the employer and one for the employee. Enter only the employer portion into OnPay
**You can also use our New Jersey payroll tax calculator to estimate taxes for New Jersey employees.**