For Existing New York Businesses
If you have already been processing payroll and filing/paying withholding and unemployment taxes to New York then there is no additional registration needed.
Simply provide us the following and we can file your taxes:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- New York Unemployment ID: 8-digit number Ex: 000000 0
- Unemployment Tax Rate
For New New York Businesses
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the New York Department of Labor. The following steps will register you for both New York Unemployment and Withholding. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your New York taxes.
- Register online at the New York Department of Labor website.
- You will come across a section called Agent C/O Address which will ask if you would like Unemployment related mail to be directed to your payroll provider. Please select No.
- If you are a Non-Profit Organization, please complete a NYS-100N form here.
- Your New York State ID Number, used for state withholding, will be your EIN followed by 00 unless you have multiple business locations.
- Your Unemployment Number will be an 8-digit account number.
- You should receive your numbers in 7-10 days after registering online.
- The unemployment rate for new employers is generally 3.2%. You can enter this into your OnPay account as you wait to receive your account number. To enter the rate, log into OnPay > click Settings > Payroll Taxes > New York.
**To get a better understanding of your tax estimates in New York, use our New York payroll calculator.**